.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

OVERCOMER

A Hepc blog, genotype 1, from discovery of virus, till (hopefully) the successful outcome. Also logging the mental, emotional and spiritual journey that this will entail. The entire contents of this blog are copyrighted by Paul Wilcox and Paul Wilcox reserves all rights granted by law to be associated with this blog.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Other Readers

*********************************************************************

I have become increasingly aware that there are readers of this blog other than those with hepc. Through comments and emails friends and strangers are getting in touch. Because of this in future I am going to cut down the tx jargon and explain more fully the ins and outs of treatment. You don`t need to be a fellow sufferer to comment on this blog. Just feel free to make nice comments.
The excellent news that is just out this week that most heppers already know about is the successful trial of a new drug VX 750 which looks set to revolutionise hepc treatment. There are staggering results in just the first few days of treatment which result in a two log drop of the virus. A two log drop is found by just crossing two noughts off any figure. So, if a starting point was 5,000 then a two log drop would be 50 or lower.
The really amazing news is that there are very few side effects, hardly any compared to the current treatment. So, no matter what happens to me at the six month mark, whether I am able to continue or not there is still this new treatment in the pipeline. It could be in use in five years which is not long as the expected wait for a breakthrough was eight years.
This news has given me a real boost as I now see alternatives instead of dead ends.
I don’t regret starting tx whatever the outcome of this present treatment or whether this new treatment would have been easier. This is because this period has been a great way to assess my life and make some changes, which I probably would not have done if all had continued just bouncing along as normal. To take some time out at this stage has been a very valuable experience, regardless of the tough time it has been.
So, definitely on an up at the moment, but as I am currently on a roller coaster I am ready for the next stomach lurching drop.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi babe,
Yes it has been a hard time,
but as you said,it has been one of the best times in our life.
I now have a man I only dreamed to have, strong, wise, free, easy with himself and others. A man who knows his short comings and is not afraid to name them or to face them.A man who knows that quality is better than quantity in nearly every thing. A man who is proud of who he is and proud of is family and new and old friends.
Well I AM PROUD OF YOU.
Sarah.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it is quite exciting about the new medication, not to throw water on it but we do not know about SVR. They are being very secretive. Watch their stock values go up. The last pill they came out with about 2 years ago was very toxic to the liver ALT's and AST's shot way up. I have hope for an "easy" pill solution but I suspect this will be added to the combo to boost chances of SVR. Which may help those who don't obtain SVR in their 1st or 2nd try.

Sounds as if you getting through this, one day at a time. It is a lovely morning and I am off to the beach with my sweetie. Best Wishes

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home