.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

OVERCOMER

A Hepc blog, genotype 1, from discovery of virus, till (hopefully) the successful outcome. Also logging the mental, emotional and spiritual journey that this will entail. The entire contents of this blog are copyrighted by Paul Wilcox and Paul Wilcox reserves all rights granted by law to be associated with this blog.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Monday, March 28, 2005

Out Of The Darkness - But Remaining Silent

********************************************************************

Following on from my recent post “Irritated from Shropshire”, I found an extremely interesting comment from Ron which I reprint here to make sure you get it. Ron says,
“I follow your thinking about dentistry – the Italian experience seems too profound for it not to be considered a big risk factor here.(It also reminds me – when I last went to my dentist I forgot to point out to him – I would wager I was the only patient that day to sit in his dentist chair who could say for certain they were PCR negative. For me that highlights the risk!) (I was also the only patient that day who was, on the other hand, safe from infection – I am already on the tx.)
But it also makes you think about barber shops, hairdressing salons, ear piercing and tattoo shops as well as GP surgeries and hospitals themselves. Microscopic drops of blood – and the HepC virus lives on in dried blood longer than the HIV virus. No one ever gets nicked or cut having their hair cut? Those haircutting tools are sterilised between each and every customer? I don’t think so.
It reminds me – I counselled inmates at HMP Pentonville for 5 years in their Health Centre. The only room available consistently was the eye examination room, which I learned over time was also used by the phlebotomist. So I sat in a room for a day a week over a long period of time where blood was drawn. No chance of a drop of dried blood in a room constantly used to take blood samples? I wouldn’t like to guarantee it! How can the risk be measured?
And the Egyptian experience – all those people were infected by using the same syringes to mass inoculate people against the dangers in their water supply. Did mass inoculations in this country never involve the use of the same syringe? (What about the school boy jokes about my injection hurt more than yours cause the nurse changed needles before your injection but not mine? Was this not a reality?)I think there are a number of areas where this virus presents a higher risk than we can dare to take seriously at the moment. Think about the impact on the general population if these risk areas were taken seriously!”
End of comment from Ron.

After reading this I sat for five minutes taking on board the full impact of this whole scenario and have come to the decision not to mention this subject again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nadine said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home