.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

OVERCOMER

A Hepc blog, genotype 1, from discovery of virus, till (hopefully) the successful outcome. Also logging the mental, emotional and spiritual journey that this will entail. The entire contents of this blog are copyrighted by Paul Wilcox and Paul Wilcox reserves all rights granted by law to be associated with this blog.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Eddie Stobart Spotting

*********************************************************************

In my work as a sales rep I travelled the highways of our glorious country every day. Britain’s roads are always a source of different emotional experiences and no two days are the same.
One day however I experienced a defining moment which will stay with me forever.
Like all amazing revelations it came in the middle of an ordinary day. I was travelling down a three lane dual carriageway when I came across a man seated on a light fold up picnic type chair in the middle of the central reservation. His chosen mode of transport, a bicycle, was leaning on the crash barrier. In his hands was a notepad and pen.
I wondered what this man was doing until I got up close and passed right by and saw a handmade sign that proudly declared:
Eddie Stobart Spotter.

A feeling of awe crept over me. How can such dedication and commitment be possible, I immediately thought to myself.
As if in answer to my unspoken thought, there came toward me on the other side of the dual carriageway an Eddie Stobart lorry. Its difficult to describe the vicarious thrill I felt on behalf of the dedicated Eddie Stobart spotter.
In just a few moments, the large imposing lorry that I was beholding myself would enter his view and consciousness. I felt the thrill he would feel as he noted down the details of the Eddie Stobart lorry (ESL). As everyone knows each ESL has a personal name.
I found myself sincerely hoping that this lorry was one he had not seen before and that a new name would be entered into his notepad. If this was the case then this mans day would not have been in vain and he could return home weary, but with a certain quiet elation and with daring tales of exploits to tell around the family dinner table.

I have to admit that I still cannot see an Eddie Stobart lorry without going back in my mind to that moment in time when I discovered such a pure identifying moment with someone of a different vehicular persuasion than myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Paul,

Each week I'm catching up on your blogs. Your healing is evident post-treatment and your insights are wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us.
Sue

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul you are definitely on the road to somewhere.
Lorry,lorry laughs.

John.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home