.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

OVERCOMER

A Hepc blog, genotype 1, from discovery of virus, till (hopefully) the successful outcome. Also logging the mental, emotional and spiritual journey that this will entail. The entire contents of this blog are copyrighted by Paul Wilcox and Paul Wilcox reserves all rights granted by law to be associated with this blog.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

A Great Day.

*****************************************************************
This post is dedicated to Wendy Meister who begins treatment on Monday.
Welcome aboard Wendy. Your fellow hepc bloggers wish you a smooth journey.
I hope this post is an encouragement to you that you have made the right choice.
*****************************************************************


Tuesday evening is my injection time, so Tuesday itself is when there is least inteferon in my system.
And this Tuesday, the third on tx was a great day. A real turning point.
Today I had energy. Today the constant fatigue that has dogged me for months lifted somewhat.
Today I did jobs I had been putting off for weeks. Today I had a taste of what normal used to be like and what it could be like again.

All the shitty symptoms I have had (and will continue to have ) were because the treatment is working and fighting the virus. Today I felt quietly confident that I would be a responder to treatment.
I admit I wept - but this time for joy. Tx has an end and I can see that I will be better than I have been for years.
Yes, I know I have to "sit on this a bit", lest I get too confident, but it`s been a much needed boost and so early on.

The results of week 12 will come on my birthday, May 3rd. I will be 50!
It could be the best birthday present I have ever had!!

Thanks to you all for your support.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy Kay said...

Paul,
Thanks for your kind wishes. I guess days like that are what we are all hoping for and (hopefully) a precursor of times to come for you.
Your posting made me think about something I read a while ago, about how children find it hard to do disagreeable things with just the promise of rewards in the future, and how we learn this skill as we become adults. Those of us undergoing treatment cant be certain of the reward so committing to the treatment becomes a 'leap of faith', and we are tested again and again by our uncertainties and fears. (I am starting to experience this already).
When you are 'ill', you can forget comletely what it is like to be 'well'. Does it work the other way too, will we forget how it feels?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Yes, Wendy, when we are well again we will forget how this feels.
It will assume a vague dream like quality and we will wonder sometimes, "Did all that really happen"?

As for adults learning to endure present sufferings in order to secure future rewards - well the theory is spot on but it isn`t a popular message so isn`t being taught.
Modern politicians are the greatest enemies of this truth.
Winston Churchill was the last politician who had the guts to say,
"All I can offer you is blood sweat and tears".
And we went on to win the greatest war in history.

At the end of my "perfect day" at 9pm I had to take my next shot.
It was the most difficult injection so far.
I was very emotional and said out loud, "How can I keep doing this to myself"?
But in it went.

Be strong. You are preparing well and have terrific support around you.

Paul.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home