.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

OVERCOMER

A Hepc blog, genotype 1, from discovery of virus, till (hopefully) the successful outcome. Also logging the mental, emotional and spiritual journey that this will entail. The entire contents of this blog are copyrighted by Paul Wilcox and Paul Wilcox reserves all rights granted by law to be associated with this blog.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Hi, my name is Paul and I am Hepc positive

Welcome to my hepc blog - and congratulations because you are about to learn a lot about hepc in a short time.
Last April I didn`t even know hepc existed, now I have just begun tx for genotype 1.

It is amazing how self interest fuels desire for knowledge.
Without the knowledge I have gleaned from various sources, and I will be naming quite a few, I would have given up treatment on the first day!!!
Yes, when it comes to hepc knowledge really is power because it gives you informed choices and a certain amount of control.

The first thing you need to realise about being hepc+ is that it is a journey. You have discovered you have this virus, often called the silent killer, and suddenly you realise that life can never be the same again.
In future blogs I will take you through my experience of discovering I was hepc+, how I reacted, how family took the news and how eventually it has taken over my life.

I absolutely hate to mention Aids and hepc in the same blog never mind the same sentence because of the false connotation it may produce in the readers mind.
But the slogan for the Aids campaign "Don`t die of ignorance", could certainly be well applied to hepc.
Of course it IS a newly discovered virus, 1988 to be precise and so we have only been aware of it`s prescence for 17 years. It took the medical fraternity, (never let us accuse them of being hasty), 3 years before they began to screen blood products for the virus.
In the hospital where I am being treated, which is a major hospital for a large region, they have had only 7 people complete treatment so far.
Hepc is a steep learning curve for everyone involved!!
Sorry, feeling fatigued now, it`s 6 in the morning and I`ve been up since 4.30. Insomnia! Just one of the many interesting side effects of hepc tx we will be looking at in future blogs.

2 Comments:

Blogger MartinB said...

Hi Paul,
Welcome to the HCV world!
Caught your comment on Ron Metcalfe's site. I start treatment (again) in March so we will both be about the same stage. My details on Martin's HCV SiteGood luck and good blogging!
Martin

10:47 AM  
Blogger Wendy Kay said...

Hi Paul,
I'm genotype 2B and due to start 24 weeks treatment on Monday 28th Feb. See my blog its linked from Jonathans. Have you heard of or read Matthew Dolan's 'Hepatitus C Handbook' I still find it a really good source of information. Look forward to reading more of your posts.
Wendy

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home